Monday, April 6, 2009

Learning to be African in Jackson, MS


We have lived next door to the Langat family for almost three years now. The Langats (Reuben, Jane, Mercy and Brian) are Kenyans who came to study at the seminary. When we first came down, Jane introduced me to African Chai which is hot tea made with part milk. It was so good and I asked her to teach me how to make it. Well, I was not successful when I tried on my own and quickly gave up.

Recently I became interested in learning to make chai and other traditional African meals. Jane and Mercy had me over during spring break and taught me how to make mandazi. It is like fried dough. They eat it with stew or with chai. It didn't seem that hard. Mercy taught me how to make chai. Jane and Agnes (another student from Kenya) showed me how to make mandazi. The pictures in this blog come from this wonderful time of fellowship.


I want to be able to make mandazi to give to people who host us as we are on Homeland Ministry Assignment (HMA). It would be so fun to be able to make chai and a snack as we go into people's home to share our calling with others. My first time trying on my own was with our close friends, Phil and Kara. They are missionaries with Global Partners to Russia. I made stew (similar to our stew but with a seasoning called Royco), mandazi and chai. It turned out well.I know it was good because Jane and Rueben both said it was good when I brought some over for them to try.

God is showing me through little things that I will be able to make it in Uganda. There are times when the idea of entering a different culture is very scary. I am nervous about trying to cook when I don't have the things that I have available here. I am scared about not knowing the language and struggling to communicate. I am scared to be so far from family and friends. But the God we serve is bigger than all our fears. He will be with us every step of the way.


He calls us to step though. He will be with us, but we need to be faithful to move as He directs. Each of us will be scared at times and each of us will prefer to stay right where we are. But how will Jesus shape us into what He wants us to be? How will the gospel spread if we are too scared to leave our comfort zone. So be encouraged! Our God is a BIG God and has BIG plans for each of us.

3 comments:

jawolheter said...

So, are you going to make some mandazi for us at Delanco Camp this summer? :)

Philip and Kara said...

I think you did a GREAT job! I felt like I was in Africa during our African meal the other week:) hahah!

Billy & Joanna Coppedge said...

We are so proud of you Meg!!! You are doing great as a missionary and a mommy. Two huge new things! We are so excited to have you in Arua in God's time! WE LOVE YOU!