Friday, September 4, 2009

Growing in the Word

This week I was reminded of the importance of getting in the word regularly. I know its hard, and I know it takes time, but it is so worth it. A missionary friend of mine reminded me that as a mom I am more effective if I have first sought out the Lord. She shared how it is hard to be consistent and to faithfully follow through with discipline if we are empty. So true, but how do you find the time when you have 1, 2, or 6 little ones running around needing your attention?


For me, I needed someone to hold me accountable. I know that is a scary thing! No one wants to be called out or judged. I am not talking about that kind of accountable, I mean someone who is in the battle with you. A friend wants to rejoice when you are doing well and love you when you struggle. Kelly Hallahan, my sister-in-law, and I are doing that right now for each other. We each do a week of devotions from Women of the Harvest and then discus what God showed us. It is amazing to be growing and have a friend cheering me on.


No matter how you do it, try to spend time with Jesus each day. It really will make a difference. If you don't believe me, ask Scott. He will tell you that I am a different person when I spend time with Jesus, and I am not so pleasant when I don't. In John 15:5 Jesus tells us, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." I know that I want to bear much fruit, and I pray that for you also.

2 comments:

Melinda Lanier said...

MEGSTER!!
I remember our accountability meetings at Asbury. What a difference they made for me! I so agree with you about the time with God. I know the difference it makes for me. I've finally been able to get past that "legalism" phase I was in college and spend daily time with God. I miss you tons. It looks like you are doing well. Much love!!

Billy & Joanna Coppedge said...

we are praying for you both as you grow and trust. We can't wait to have you as neighbors here in Arua, but we are trusting the Lord's timing and all that we all need to learn so that we join together in His perfect timing. Many blessings!