Friday, March 19, 2010

Hope

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23


This past weekend we had the opportunity to be a part of a mission conference in Western Pennsyvania and while we were there someone sang the hymn "the solid rock" as special music. This is a great song that holds a special place in my heart, it was our class hymn at Asbury and it was sung at our wedding, but it hit me in a fresh way as I listened to the words being sung.

I think often when I hear the word "hope" my first thought is our future hope in Christ. But when I heard it this time it hit me that the hope we have in who Christ is and what He's done isn't only a future hope, but also our very present hope in whatever circumstances we find ourselves. It is hope for salvation, hope for a life pleasing to God, hope that God will fulfill His promises, and for us, hope that God will bring us to Uganda in His way and His time.

We've been a bit discouraged recently that we are not further along in the proccess of getting to Uganda, but when this song was sung I was reminded that I cannot hope in anything but Christ; not myself, not a
church, not our organization. As we approach Easter in this Lenten season know that your only hope for whatever is facing you today is found in Christ and what He did in dying and being raised again.



"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ Name.

Refrain:
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain"

1 comment:

Josh and Kelly said...

Good word :) love you guys. praying always! Hope was the theme of our first newsletter last March... maybe I need to re-read it!