Thursday, October 7, 2010

Babies, Bedtime, and Hope

Sorry the blog has been so quiet recently. If you haven't heard though, Benjamin Daniel Rambo was born at 9:37pm on September 23, 2010. Needless to say, things have shaken up quite a bit in our home. Everyone is healthy and adjusting fairly well to the new realities of life, although I don't think any of us would argue with a little more consistent sleep.

The day after Benjamin was born, in an effort to help Tim not feel completely abandoned, I came home from the hospital to eat dinner with Tim and put him to bed. Per our normal bedtime routine I got him dressed in pajamas and we sat down to read a story from The Jesus Storybook Bible (which, by the way, we highly recommend)As we opened up the Bible to pick up where we had left off it just so happened (quite providentially) that we came to the Christmas story. And as we read that story, retold to point young hearts to Jesus, I found myself struck anew by the glorious reality of what happened on that momentous night.

Just hours before I had held in my arms our tiny, 8lb 7oz baby boy so many emotions swelled in my heart. On one hand I saw how frail, how helpless, how needy he was; and as I read that story of God breaking into our world I realized again that was how He had chosen to come. So humble, so dependent, so powerless. But I also saw in Ben's fresh, new life hopes and dreams and desires for what his life would hold and as we read I couldn't help but wonder what aspirations and hopes filled not only the heart of Joseph, who had been told his son was Immanuel--God with us, but also the heart of God.

As we prayed that night and thanked God for breaking into our lives with His "never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love" I couldn't help but be humbled and astonished and glad and maybe even a bit skeptical that God has chosen to invite us to be a part of sharing that love with the world. But what great news this is to share, what a glorious story it is to invite people to participate in.

I'm so thankful for Benjamin (and Timothy, for that matter), but I'm also so thankful for this reminder that God doesn't choose to work in the ways that we would. I'm thankful for what God accomplished through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son and I'm hopeful for what he will accomplish in and through the life of my sons.

No comments: