Monday, October 25, 2010

Doing Ministry Where You Are

While I was "waiting" for Ben to arrive I had lots of time to think. I realized that I was so focused on getting to Africa so that I could start doing my ministry that I was missing all that God has for me here. God's "still, small voice" has been working on my heart. He has showed me that there are things here I can be, and should be doing. If I believe that God has called me to share the joy He has given me, why am I waiting to share?
So, I started calling around. I have found some womens groups that are a part of local churches. The first group was the UMW from Pitman UMC. I was invited to come to their meeting and give the devotional. I shared how God has given each of us something special and He wants us to use these gifts for His glory. Two evenings later I got to share with the Friendship Ring of Evangelical UMC in Clarksboro. The ladies were so welcoming and I was able to share the call God has given me for the women of Africa. It was wonderful to be used to encourage and bless these two groups.
As I am learning to serve where I am, I realized that was exactly what these ladies were doing. They are serving Jesus right now, in their church, community and family. In some ways their ministries look different than what I will be doing in Uganda, but the heart of it is the same. We are encouraging, mentoring, teaching and doing life with other women.

I will be doing this by having ladies to my home and sharing a cup of tea.
Some of these ladies meet at the local coffee shop to chat.
I will have bible studies and small groups. 
These ladies meet regularly to open God's word and pray together.
I hope to have English classes, cooking or sewing classes. 
These ladies have social groups from quilting to baking to scrapbooking.
I hope to develop a program to train the women leaders of the church in women and children's ministries. 
These ladies are doing the women and children ministries in their church.

I was so encouraged to know that what is going on around the corner will teach me and train me for what the future holds. It is important for us to keep looking and striving to get to Uganda, that is where God wants us. As we all look forward to what God has for us, we need to be careful not to miss all God has for us right now, right where we are.

"Wherever you are, be all there." -Jim Elliot

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thank you, Meg. This is encouraged me today.

Josh and Kelly said...

absolutely love this. and you!