Tuesday, July 5, 2016

What I Like Best About Bible Story Telling

After the Simply the Story training, Scott asked me, "What do you like best about Bible storying?" And I just started talking and getting passionate. I wanted to share some of the reasons I love oral Bible story telling. 

Anyone can join in

I have been in groups where some of the women don't read, or have had very little education. If I came with a worksheet, or even a study guide for a chapter in the Bible, they would feel excluded. These women would feel inadequate and inferior. But the truth is, God's word is not just for those who can read and write, but for all of God's children! 

Anyone can lead

Yes, we have a training to help people learn how to tell and prepare a Bible story well. And the training is so valuable, but what I love about this model, is that you don't need to have any education or degree or status to be able to tell Bible stories. And honestly, more people can be reached. If only the educated could be the ones sharing stories, many people could never be reached. There are socioeconomic realities. People are more comfortable with people who are more similar to them in lifestyle. Anyone can learn to lead these stories. It it not only the seminary graduate who pass the Bible stories on, but also the part time pastor, or the woman who works in the market, or the man who works in the fields, or the mother who is at home with kids. And each of these people has a different community to reach out to. They each have an audience that they can reach better than others. I LOVE that Bible stories can be lead by anyone and therefore reach more groups.

Once you know a story, you can pull it out easily

Unlike sermons I have prepared, which I spent hours preparing and have lots of notes, a story can be told anytime and anywhere. We say, "I have that story in my heart pocket." It's a way of saying that I really know that Bible story and it doesn't take much to be able to share it again and again. On more than one occasion, I have been with a group and someone referred to a Bible story. I was able to tell the story on the spot and could even remember the questions I would use to help listeners find truths. 

You don't need anything

I love that you don't need your Bible with you, (although it is good to have so that people know that your story really is the Word of God). You don't need your study guide or your sermon notes. You don't need a table, chairs and pens and paper. You don't even need an hour. You can tell a story and ask a few key questions in 5 minutes, or you can sit at a cafe and spend 20 minutes discussing a story, or you can spend 2 hours digging into a story in depth. 


Our group shot after getting our certificates
Really, I just love sharing the Word of God and this is a great way to do it. I have been blessed when others have shared a Bible story with me. I have been blessed as I have shared Bible stories with others. And I LOVE the transformation that comes when people engage the Word of God. If you want to know more, or get connected to Simply the Story, click here


No comments: